Species of the Uplift Universe
The Orders of Life
Rules of Patronymicsab - used in Patronymics to indicate Patrons. Listed backward in historical order, with only those races still in existence. Used to establish status.
ul - used in Patronymics to indicate Clients. Listed in forward historical order, also a symbol of status.
ta - used in Patronymics to indicate Race in informal address. In formal address "a" is used.
Example: Fagin, a-Kanten, ab-Linten-ab-Siqul-ul-Nish.
Patronymic Tree for Oxygen Breathers
- 3 client races
- Lethani or Luber
- 2 Clients
- Brothers of the Night (or Ebony Shadows)
- P'un m'ang
- Garthling (formerly Gorilla)
- Nahalli (as punishment)
Sundiver (p33) claims the Pila are ab-Kisa-ab-Soro-ab-Hul-ab-Puber-ul-Gello-ul-Pring. Yet Startide Rising (p62) claims that the Gello were the first clients of the Soro, and not the Pila.
Tom Orley addresses the Paha warriors as "Paha-ab-Kleppko-ab-Puber-ab-Soro- ab-Hul" on p409 of Startide Rising. There has never been any other mention of the Kleppko and this Patronymic chain is out of order.
- Fah'fah'n*fah - Live in dense circulation storms on heavy worlds.
- Zang - Most commonly encounter hydrogen breathers. Yellow amourphous ameobalike creatures. Live in a liquid? environment, floating in a dense medium. Have pseudopods, no permanent organs or structures within the translucent skins, but continually send off small blobby subunits that come together and separating again.
- Seven Spinners - One of the few honorary machine civilizations to join Galactic society. Mainly stay within high-density spiral arm areas, which are useless to both oxygen and hydrogen breathers. The Institute of Uplift has special arrangements for Uplift amongst machine cultures.